Thursday, June 15, 2006

Snow

Listening to: "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1", Midnight Oil
All this snow down south has reminded me lately about the first (and until 2003 the only) time I remember playing in snow. I had played in snow before this, but don't remember it. It was probably 1981, when my family lived in Rotorua. I suspect on a whim it was decided we would go visit Whakapapa. I remember the Chateau. I remember we didn't get any further up the mountain because we couldn't get chains to fit the car. So we played around on the golf course in front of the Chateau. I remember wondering how they could play golf with a foot of snow on the ground (I was four or five). I remember how the snow would almost support you before collapsing. I remember the snow piled up on the side of the road and being surprised you walked through it rather than over it. It was a grey overcast day. The sun was not shining. My sisters and I made snow angels. It was cool fun. It is a nice little memory.

Surprising how relevant the above Midnight Oil album still is, 24 years after it was released. Sample lyric: "US forces give the nod. Its a setback for your country...". Things change and then they don't.

1 comment:

Not Kate said...

I like the new 'I'm listening to...' bit. Good structural device!

You sure do write purty, Sammy.