Friday, June 16, 2006

Psyche me up baby

Listening to: "Live from Mars"-Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
My favourite psyche up songs that I can think of right now in no particular order:
Caution:Some favourites may have been temporarily forgotten, which in no way diminishes their status. List is not definitive.

Glory and Consequence-Ben Harper
Love the up and down riff, the restrained but vital drumming, the lyrics.

Gimme Gimme-Shihad
The massive grinding wall of sound by the final chorus. Nuff said.

Sabotage-The Beastie Boys
It builds like a wave, then breaks all over your speakers. Impossible to sing along to without nodding your head.

In My Tree-Pearl Jam
Drums. Drums. And more Drums.

Everlong-Foo Fighters
Probably one of my favourite choruses ever. Drumming on this track kicks.

Mr Self Destruct-Nine Inch Nails
Noise is good.

Dirty Beats-Roni Size and Reprazent
Relentless. Starts hard out and never lets up.

66-Afghan Whigs
Starts slow and quiet, finishes loud and noisy

Black Dog-Led Zeppelin
Best.riff.in.the.world.ever. EVER. Makes me want to air guitar.

Burn-Elemenop
The recurring held guitar note in the bridge. Gnarly

Open up-Leftfield/Lydon
"Burn Hollywood burn"

Desire-U2
Great riff. Short and sweet.

I wanna be a nudist-Regurgitator
Haven't got a clue what its about but I love the Beach Boys on speed vibe.

I see red-Split Enz
Turn it up. No, louder.

Last Goodbye-Jeff Buckley
Such depressing lyrics. Such uplifting delivery and music.

1 comment:

Not Kate said...

Last Goodbye is beautiful. A guy I went out with a few years ago introduced me to Jeff Buckley music - and I'm very grateful! Very soulful and lyrical.