Thursday, June 08, 2006

Netball overload

I never thought I'd say this but I am playing too much indoor netball at the moment. This realisation came slowly, but once noticed it is impossible to deny. Three teams/games a week was always my goal, in keeping with the moderate exercise three times a week ethos. But it is really hard to sustain, and now Fishy and I have realised that we are over commited. Once we have seen out this season we will be retiring from one of our teams. Not the Monday one. That one is non negotiable as long as we're wanted in it. It's not a retreat, more of a strategic withdrawal.
I will admit, the last six months of playing first superleague, then more social has left me leaner, fitter and more skilled. At times I am playing in the form of my career. Other times I am just average or rubbish. But I am not having as much fun, and running the risk of taking it all way too seriously. I'm getting injured more, and starting to develop long term strains that only get fixed by resting. Also spending too much money and too much time.
I want the fun back. Cuts will be made. My sport/life balance needs adjusting.
Don't get me wrong I love my sport. I'm just getting a little jaded right now.
That said, Monday nights game was absolutely kick-arse. My Monday night team is the most fun one I've ever played in. There are no superstars, it is a teams team. Everyone had a blinder on Monday and it rocked. And we beat a team that I have filled in for, and frankly thought we would have trouble defeating. I'm not sure if they reconised me, but it was fun.
Tuesday nights come from behind win involving having more composure than our opposition was also nice. Also Fishy shot 100%, doing it so efficiently that almost no-one noticed.
I won't mention Wednesday, on the premise of having nothing good to say about it, apart from Fishy playing solidly as usual. Didn't enjoy either of the games.

No comments: