Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Music of the night #2 and Loose Change

Listening to: no music, just my house and TV noise.
Seem to be in a sequels thing here.
I think late at night, you're a little bit tired, your mind wanders a little, and maybe that song you're hearing opens your imagination a little more easily.
Lack of distraction definitely helps. Hence driving, lying awake in bed, being alone are all conducive to this.

Finally saw Da Vinci code the other day. Rated it about as highly as I did the book, which wasn't high....interesting ideas though.

Speaking of interesting ideas, the Hutt crew gathered at Stretch's place on Sunday night for our ritual spa/DVD evening. Fare for the night courtesy of D3vo was "Loose Change", an independently produced and internet distributed doco about 9/11 (google 'loose change' for more info). Specifically, that 9/11 was a government conspiracy, and that for example the Pentagon was not hit by an airliner, but by a missile, and that the twin towers were demolished by explosives rather than impact and fire damage. The doco appears to be well known in the right circles, semi infamous in the wrong ones, and appears to have something of a following
The idea that it is all some kind of terrible hoax is intriguing to me, and I was interested to see if I could be compelled by some sort of incontrevertible smoking gun irregularity into thinking it had some substance. Wasn't to be.
The allegations were at times bizarre, evidence irrelevant (and at times contradicting the point the filmmakers were trying to put across), and some 'facts' quoted that I know, well, for a fact are incorrect (like saying the A-3 Skywarrior is in service in the US Air Force. Umm, the A-3 was never in service in the USAF, being that it was a US Navy aircraft. The plane in the clip even had 'navy' written on it. The USAF did use a version of the A-3 known as the B-66, but they were retired long before 2001, and were different to the navy version referred to. This may not sound like much, but it is a very very basic error which munches the filmmakers credibility for an aviation interested person like me. If they haven't checked a fact as easy to check as that, what else have they assumed to be correct that is in fact not?) . Images, quotes and information were taken out of context, huge leaps of logic made. Their investigative methodology as presented, frankly, sucked. Overall I found it a bit amateurish, and immature.
I was disappointed. I was ready to believe, but was only convinced that the version of events we all know is what actually happened. Just about every point made had (for me anyway) plausible explanations that don't require coincidence or conspiracy....I'm inclined to believe in conspiracies in that I think they are possible, but have a high standard of evidence, so approach them with an open mind.
Still it did provoke some debate in the lounge, which is probably a good thing, and probably the film's ultimate intention. Definitely not a waste of time and I'm glad I saw it, so thanks D!
PS I think the coffin nail in the 'missile hit the Pentagon' theory for me is that while dozens if not hundreds of witnesses have said they saw a 757, business jet, or some kind of aircraft hit the Pentagon, not one has said they saw a missile.....that and no-one has yet provided a good explanation of where the missing aircraft, passengers and crew are. There are ways to explain the seemingly unusual damage to the building that I can handle.
Thats my opinion anyway. Yours may differ, and thats alright. The saddest thing personally for me (apart from the ongoing worldwide consequences) about 9/11 is that I can never look at a Boeing 767 again without seeing one hitting a building. This matters if like me, you always turn to look at a plane you hear flying by......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good article on Loose Change cover-storied on Salon.com a couple days ago.

Linky

Off-Black said...

Interesting. The 41 pages of comments were probably more interesting though.Some of those guys need to get out more.