Sunday, September 24, 2006

On my mind

Things on my mind this week

I had the idea of William Shatner covering The Muppets "I'm in love with a big blue frog". I'm. In love. With a big. Blue. Frog.

The Thai coup was interesting. Military coups are normally bad, but this one seems to have popular support, which is cool. I find it humourous that they waited until the to be ousted PM was out of the country.

I wonder if the Pope now has new media minders. Does anyone else find the comment/reaction ironic?

Not-Kates continued bad flatmate karma. Yerghh.

I'm working on a Tao (for lack of a better term) of indoor netball, in a determined effort to take the game less seriously.

The band on the treadmills video.

New and interesting and old and interesting music I'm planning to acquire.

Interesting to see that the debacle that is the disbandment of the RNZAF's combat element, and the non-sale of the aircraft got some media time this week. I don't know if the misinformation and occasional flat out untruths issued by the government on this issue for the last five years is deliberate (they may just be badly informed), but it is frustrating. It may or may not have been the correct thing to do, but it was clearly motivated by political considerations rather than practical ones, which is also frustrating.

Utterly fed up with the non-story over this Brash-Clark name calling he said she said BS taking so much airtime. How about running the damn country instead. I don't care if an affair was had or if so and so is gay. I really don't. We have no need or right to know. Judge these people on how they do their jobs, not who they sleep with.

Canterbury lost the Ranfurly shield. Fantastic. I love it when the shield goes on the road. I hate it when one union grabs it and dominates.

Can anyone explain why we have the franchise based regional netball competition, and the national championships, with apparently the same teams? Answers in 15 words or less please.

I am planning some kind of cull of my library. I have been planning this for some time. I will possibly be planning this for some time to come.

D3vo's flatmate has bought a church organ on trademe. Like his house parties weren't interesting enough already :)

'Who let the dogs out' is a terrible, terrible song. It's not funny, just nasty and malicious.
(watching the U-choose 40 again). Almost as bad as 'Mambo no.5'.

Does anyone else find the use of 'Bittersweet symphony' ironic in a bank commercial ("you're a slave to the money then you die...")?

The BSA has not upheld complaints about the toddler driving the SUV commercial. I find this surprising, as it kinda horrifed me when I first saw it. Small children trying to drive a car is apparently clearly implausible, along with bulls driving a Hilux.

My Wednesday night pub quiz team won on umm, Wednesday, with the score of 99 out of a possible 110. I think this is a record, as I can't recall ever breaking 100 in all my years of participation with many teams. That said, a lot of the questions were gimmees. That also said, we beat our nearest rival by 8 points; I though it would be lot closer.

I have yet to be convinced that the Hilton on the waterfont is a good idea.

Right now, I am the physically fittest I have been in years.

The uchoose list of one-hit wonders has a high commonality with last weeks list of fashion disasters.

Mentioning the u-choose seems to generate more comments than the subject of the post the reference appears in.

Milo is a good hangover preventer.

That is all.

5 comments:

Not Kate said...

I love the treadmills video.l

Was Kris Kross's JUMP JUMP on the uchoose top 40? I missed most of it, just tuned in for the end.

Homeperm said...

i am such a fan of your uchoose run down that i checked your blog part way through to see if you had anything to say about how most of the one hit wonders weren't one hit wonders at all. i mean hello! mel and kim had two singles.

for the first time ever i voted for the uchoose 40 and three of my five votes didn't make it. i voted for principals office (young mc), jumpjump by kriskros and my personal fave when will i be famous by bros (who had two albums of pure gold so maybe noone else voted for them because they WERE CLEARLY NOT ONE HIT WONDERS).

Off-Black said...

I agree. I can name at least one other Europe song than 'The final countdown'
The one hit wonder countdown was somthing of a letdown, in that most of the artists on hit had more than one hit.

Not Kate said...

Tiffany had SEVERAL hits. I remember them all..... 'When I saw HIM standing there'.... 'Could've been'....

That was the first album I ever bought.

Homeperm said...

and shame oh la. i bought her second album. with it's awesome song jackie (the only one i can remember). i used to play elastics HARDCORE in time to that album.