Sunday, September 03, 2006

Freakin Nirvana

Nevermind is predictably number one album you should own according to C4 voters. At the risk of cynically incurring a controversy, Nirvana made great music, but I wonder if they would be on the pedestal they seem to occupy if Kurt Cobain wasn't dead.
I like the Uchoose top 40, even if the top 10's tend to be a little predictable.
It is gratifying to note that I own a healthy proportion of tonights top 40, although once your CD collection gets big enough this is probably inevitable.
Last time I counted I had over 350 CD's, but that was a few months ago, so I have no idea how many I am carrying at the moment.
I know a guy who had 1500 CD's, but that was ten years ago, who knows how many he has now.

4 comments:

Not Kate said...

Svend has a lot of CDs too.

I don't actually like Nevermind all that much.... I am a girl, so I prefer the MTV Unplugged one (of course, it's all purty and acoustic).

Andrew said...

I prefer the MTV Unplugged one and I'm not a girl.

Homeperm said...

i fell asleep AGAIN before the end of the show but i found it all a bit odd. i had this moment where i realised that i was basically middle aged. in the mid 90s (early to mid anyway)i thought the classic albums were all the product of the seventies and now lo and behold most of the albums i saw on c4 last night were products of the early to mid 90s. see... middle aged. also ten was just about my favourite album of all time. it was about number fifteen from memory. i always found it superior to nevermind.

Off-Black said...

I got into the whole Seattle thing late, getting a copy of 'Ten' on TAPE in early 1993. I never got a copy of Nevermind. I kinda like Nirvana now, but at the time I remember it being kinda being mutually exclusive one t'other Pearl Jam/Nirvana. I thought Nirvana were over hyped in the early nineties (which isn't to say Pearl Jam weren't, more so in the mid nineties when they bore the 'saviours of rock n roll' tag), and wasn't that into them. I remember thinking Cobain was a dick when he killed himself (I know a little better now, but still can't condone it), and still get kinda offended when I see kids wearing his image on a T-shirt.

It is kinda fun though to see albums that I remember as being brand new or at least current music are now regarded as classic must haves.