Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Not watching the eclipse

Listening to: Hunters and Collectors-Collected Works

Unfortunately tonight's spectacular in the Moon turns blood red kinda way eclipse has been messed up due to manky high stratus cloud providing complete obscuration. I saw the beginning, the moon start to get eaten by shadow, but then the clouds rolled in and I could see no more. I took one extremely wobbly photo. By the time I got the tripod there was nothing to be seen.

Buggar.

I remember the 1982 eclipse well, gazing through the window of our house in Rotorua at a crimson moon I hadn't seen before.

I remember the 2000 one a lot better, mainly due to the 'hey wouldn't it be nice if I brought my skin drums so everyone can like commune with this great natural event and we can all be one with nature' complete prat who ruined the viewing experience from Mount Vic with his inane and repetitious-even-for-drums slapping. Still a great spectacle though.

Just popped my head outside and like magic the clouds cleared, long enough to take some perhaps slightly better photos.

Sweet.

As I have said earlier, its far to easy to be too cool for things like this and dismiss them as boring. You can see a white moon all the time. A red one every several years only. Think about it. How often do you get to see the shadow of your own planet? Thus I deem it cool. To quote a great philosopher of my time, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it".

***

To the wanker who broke into Fi's car last night: Not only are you a wanker for trying to steal what others have rightfully earned, you're not even very good at it. You go to all the risk and effort of breaking in and then you don't even take anything!

You are pathetic.

***

On a much more important note than anything else in this post, please everyone spare a thought for strong-light at the moment. Especially today and the days to come. She and hers are going through a tough time.

One day this time will be a sad memory rather than a sad experience Cal.

Peace and empathy to you.

No comments: