Monday, August 27, 2007

Arcane netball trivia

Listening to: Jam and Spoon-Tripomatic Fairytales

Back to posting about me again.

I was idly wondering how many points I have scored in my Indoor Netball career. I wasn't able to arrive at a definitive figure other than 'at least hundreds', but I did come up with the following useless facts and figures.

Highest score my team has been beaten by
75 or so. My first ever Superleague match.

Highest score my team has scored while I was on the court
62.

Highest personal score in a game
Hard to pin down exactly, but it is in the 30+ region. Fairly recently. I have often tried to remember my points during games, but have never managed it.

Most perfect shooting in a game
On a wild and stormy night on court 5 at Newtown I hit all but one (the last one) of my 15 or so shots first time.

Number of times I have been sent off
None

Number of times I have been threatened with being sent off
Three

Worst Immediate Consequence injury
At Cuba Street one time, both myself and the D were watching the progress of the ball into the circle. Unfortunately we were both running quite quickly. I saw him briefly after my head connected with his shoulder, but this vision was quickly replaced by a view of the court ceiling as I had been knocked flat on my arse and close to unconcious (I saw everything in shades of lime green for a while). My team-mates scored the points before attending to me, as they should, bless 'em.

Worst Delayed Consequence Injury that was a lot worse than I thought at the time it occured
The sprained forefinger I got in early 2006 (the physio sent me for X-rays before she would even look at it), narrowly beating the sprained shoulder I incurred a couple of months ago.

Most spectacular fall
Leaping high for a tip one time at Cuba Street (1997 ish), I stretched just a little too far, enough to make a co-ordinated landing an impossibility. 'This might hurt' I thought as I watched the world rotate 90 degrees or so before landing very heavily on my side (shoulder and hip to be exact) from a height of about two feet, which doesn't sound like much, until you try it onto a thinly astroturf covered concrete floor. I suddenly felt pain in areas that should never be painful in indoor netball. Still jarring I rolled over and got up to unsteadily run after the play. I retired from the game shortly thereafter. I have a theory it is somehow related to my occasional random and unexplainable thigh/hip pain that I currently experience.

Fastest scoring I have participated in
7 points in under thirty seconds. I was centre for Teachers Pet, about 5 years ago.
Sequence thus: Two point shot, pass-off, intercept, one point shot, pass-off, intercept, two, pass-off, intercept, two (buzzer beater) to end the second quarter. I shot the twos. We lost the game by one point....

Longest scoring shot
Pass that went through the hoop from about one metre inside halfway last year.

Worst team I have played against
The folks at Petone last year who included personal insults and a total disregard for fair play as part of their game, and then nearly had a fist fight with an umpire after the game. Big factor in my dropping playing for the Petone team last year, as they weren't the only team in our grade with a significant attitude problem.

Most netball I have played in one day
Four and a half complete games, or 18 nine minute quarters to put it another way.

Best partner in A
Wouldn't be fair to name one, there have been so many to catch my wild passes, or deliver me the ball safely, or carry me when my shooting was off, or just make me look like a better player than I am.

First game ever played
October 1995. I played C/L, ran around lots, had three attempts at goal, missed them all, and was generally rubbish.

No comments: