Monday, May 07, 2007

The season of suck

Listening to: Wammo-Bailterspace. "The rockets have landed, the spacemen are stranded, not where they wanna beeee......"

You need a minder to be out here
The ground floor carpark at Queensgate (Hutt locals never call it Westfield), is apparently rated PG. This has potentially interesting permutations. I wonder if there is an R18 carpark somewhere.

The season of suck continues. Monday is normally my favourite netball night with my favourite netball team, but this season is different. Somehow we've been graded too high, and every week it feels like we are getting our arses handed to us on a plate by 20+ points or more. Losing by 10 or so is okay. At least you were competitive. Once you start getting up into the 15+ range thats the kicking zone. There is nothing wrong with our team, its just that the others in our grade are a lot better (if proof were needed, tonight we played a bunch of players who play for teams I have trialled for but failed to get into. I am not the best player in my team, but you get the point).

Its demoralising. When most of your plays get shut down with little or no apparent effort from the opposition, it starts feeling like you don't have any skill, knowledge, or clues. Irrational I know, but I'm talking subjectives here. My court confidence is taking a hammering. I'm trying not to let it, but meh it is starting to affect my game, so at times I am playing like I have no skill, knowledge or clues. I hate not enjoying my netball. It is one of my tools of happiness (working on a post about that D3vo!), and I don't like it being dysfunctional.

I acknowledge I'm being slightly hypocritical, in that I enjoy thrashing an opposition on occasion. It does get boring if you do it every week though (been there, done that).

My Thursday team is also suffering an absence of fun at times. Brand new team, not all the players have skills, experience or clues, which can make it really hard at times. Fun when it comes together though. They will be really good when the new folks have some nous.
It's times like these when I go running back to the Tuesday night team I occasionally play for. They are in a fairly casual grade, and are excellent rebuilders of mojo.
It's times like these that I remind myself that you have to lose to enjoy winning.
It's times like these you learn to live again. It's times like these you give and give again. It's times like these you learn to love again. It's times like these time and time again.
Thanks Foo Fighters! (said to the cadence of the old Honeypuffs commercial).
I'm not the hardest core Foo Fighters fan in the world, but they have a peculiar habit of writing a new favourite song for me about once an album. 'This is a call' from the debut, 'Everlong' from The colour and the shape, 'Times like these' from One by one, 'Best of You' from In your honour. I saw one of the innumerable clips from Nirvana's MTV unplugged on C4 the other day, and had a hard time reconciling Dave Grohl then with the modern version.
Shout out Yo
Thanks to all peoples who made our gathering yesterday for Fi's birthday. 'Twas cool fun.

No comments: