Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Aww, pretty!

There are two prevailing winds in the Wellington Region. One is a fearsome south/southeasterly, direct from Antarctica (often referred to as a lazy wind, as it tends to travel straight through you rather than bothering to go around).
The other is a north/northwesterly generated by large masses of air attempting to penetrate the gap in New Zealands mountain ranges that is Cook Strait.

On occasion, the northerly will condense as it passes over the northern reach of Cook Strait, leaving the lower North Island covered in cloud. As the cloud cover is incomplete, there is a clear air gap at the horizon, allowing the cloud to be lit from below, at say, sunset.
Looking roughly southwest it can be seen that the cloud stops pretty much where the island does (for those non-familiar with Welly geography, the distant mountains in the bottom right of the picture slope down to the sea on the other side).
I love how sunsets fill your house with warm reflected and refracted light.

In other news

I've been meaning to post about this for a while. As someone who enjoys a good sky, I think this is interesting, and this is a great idea.

Ribena is in damage control mode by the looks.

All together now : BWAAHAHAHAHAHA! One suspects they are still cleaning the bloodstains off the walls of their quality and marketing departments.

3 comments:

kiwilauren said...

Once again Sam, beautiful pictures! Can't wait to experience this stuff myself. Less than 2 months now!

Also, I have an appointment to get a new knee brace in about a week and a half... that means that there's a high possibility that netball will be in my future! I have NO idea how to play, and I've never seen it played before either, so you will certainly have a lot to teach me I'm sure. :o) If I do decide to play netball with you once I'm in NZ, will I have to commit to playing on a team all the time, or do you and Fiona just do it for fun whenever you feel like it? I'll be pretty busy with my music internship, so I'll have to see how that goes first.

Can't wait to meet you!

BarWench said...

Sam - I must say - those pics are gorgeous... I hope you frame some of them...!

fish said...

Sam is pretty clever huh? Good thing I married him :)

Lauren, we play in a regular team each Monday, and we have semi-regular Tuesday games too. The Tuesday grade will be nice'n easy for you, and I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time!