Friday, October 20, 2006

Waiting for happy hour

Listening to: 'Futurama' in the hostel lobby

Killing time waiting for the cheap drinks. No plans to get axed, too tired for that. Just a couple of nightcaps before sleep. I have had less than four hours sleep in the last 39 or so hours, which is always the way when I travel. I don't sleep much the night before the off.
I have been walking pretty much all day since I got to the Hostel. My feet and legs are sore.
I am mooching about in my flip flops at the moment (good suggestion Fi!), having finally taken off the boots I put on at 4am this morning. My body thinks it is 10pm. Actually it is coming up on 7:30pm. This was ok though, because I had second breakfast.
Got a little bit of shopping done, and finally made it to Taronga Zoo, which I have been looking forward to since missing out last time I was here five years ago. The zoo was cool. I made eye contact with at least four creatures who could rip me limb from limb without even thinking about it were it not for the impenetrable barriers between us. And its a great zoo as zoos go. And they had Tuatara.
So here I am in Sydney. It is humid. Worse than Auckland or even Fiji. There is always something fun about the first time you encounter the natural air of a place that isn't airconditioned or filtered. It is warm. Not really hot, but it doesn't really get cold. As you walk past buildings you can sense the cold filtered and scented air pouring out of them. The light rain is a relief from the mugginess. I thought I had acclimatised earlier, but not quite.

Travelling completely alone is a novelty. This is the first time I have travelled like this. This morning I felt out of place, but by evening I was OK. Sydney rewards walking around in it all day.

Pros: I have had no arguments yet.
Cons: I have no-one to talk to and share cool experiences with.

I am keeping a journal of sorts. I will try and distill them in a way that doesn't become another travel blog.

3 comments:

Homeperm said...

i've been along in my travels a few times now and really like it. but need to have some kind of outlet where i can share the really really cool stuff with people. i end up blogging a lot or sending a lot of text messages.

also did you get to feed giraffe's at taronga zoo? it was one of the coolest things i've ever done.

Homeperm said...

alone - not along, by the way. (refer above comment)

also, travel blogs are boring but good blogs with some travel in them = exceptional.

Off-Black said...

I'm hoping I fall into the latter category.....