Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Imagery

Listening to: The rythm of the falling rain. My backyard is quietly flooding while I write.

Some Sydney imagery

Thunderstorm approaching Taronga Zoo from across the harbour on Friday. A few minutes later it provided a brief but intense downpour, which was quite nice, as it had been very hot and sticky up until then. Lots of thunder, but no visible lightning unfortunately. I like dramatic skies.


When one is travelling alone, one tends to take self protraits of oneself:

On the ferry to Taronga, Sydney harbour bridge above. I thought I was smiling. Need to work on that. Note also scar and general lopsidedness of my chin due to a spectacular cycling accident at the age of 14.

At the airshow on Saturday, wearing Notkates design. (If you don't believe it is me, check the scar).

Richmond airbase, where the show was, is about 60K west of Sydney. I got there by train, and thus here I am at Central railway station on Sunday morning.

Ones mascots also get a look in:
For the last several years whenever Fi and I have travelled we have taken a small cuddly toy as a mascot/companion/lucky charm. They are also handy for personalising photographs of scenery and sights. Snoopy (last seen modelling my one glove here) was planned to have made this trip, but got left behind when I was packing. So I bought a little Kiwi at Wellington Airport


Kiwi on Sydney harbour. Much warmer than it looks.

The Kiwi was joined by a Koala at Taronga. Here they are in front of the Bambi cloning facility (cunningly disguised as a spotted deer enclosure).

Kiwi minding my other camera at the airshow while waiting for the flying to begin, Saturday. The dude with the black cap on was one of those who prompted my rant about inadequate clothing. His two small boys got well rugged up, but by the end of the day still in only t-shirt and shorts he was visibly shivering to the point where I was wondering if he was becoming hypothermic.

Kiwi emphasising the red soil of the airshow location, Sunday.

2 comments:

Homeperm said...

that kiwi koala thing was so cute.
also, selfies are not just for when travelling alone. basically i take a self portrait whenever a camera is nearby. it is so addictive.

fish said...

And you're so good at it, HP! I wish I looked that good in every photo.