Sunday, October 01, 2006

Theme music

Listening to the Uchoose gretest movie soundtracks

So I tune in in time to catch 18, 17 and 16. "Everything I do", "Can you feel the love tonight", "I will always love you".
Two Kevin Costner movies, and a soundtrack whoring Elton John. Eltons modern stuff just makes me sad, given how cool his 70's stuff is. The Lion King's animation seems really dated now. And Simba bears an astonishing resemblance to the Wellington Lion's captain Rodney So'oialo, which is a healthy coincidence I think.

Kenny Loggins is in at 13 with 'Footloose'. Now there is a terrible movie, although I have fond memories of putting the soundtrack cassette on high rotate in the summer of 1984 (for cheesy 80's movie pop, its not that bad). Loggins is kinda the king of the soundtrack song. He was everywhere in the 80's. He soundtracked for "Footloose", "Over the top" and "Top Gun", and maybe one of the Karate Kid movies, and that's just the ones I can remember of the top of my head. "Danger zone" is my pick for number one if it hasn't been in already.

Oh jeeze. "School of Rock" at number 12.

Thinking of my favourite uses of pop/rock in the movies now, but I will do so from bed, where I will watch the rest of the countdown. I'm tired after all the shenanigans and stuff, of which more later.

U2's "Elevation" at 11. Alright song, great video, terrible movie.

Dai Henwood is insane.

"Greased lightning" at 10. Maybe I won't keep watching.

4 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Couldn't agree with you more about "Sir" Elton .. I was listening to Lady on the Water the other day, and it just made me sad that someone who could make such beautiful music is now just a clown of his former self

2treesandahorse said...

Number 4: slick of heaven. ahhh kiwis supporting there own.

Off-Black said...

Number 1 made me go all John Macenroe, as in "You canot be serious!"
Aerosmith? Michael Bay? Surely the texting public of New Zealand has beter taste than this. Makes me wonder if it is rigged or not, given that this video featured heavily in the advertising for this weeks countdown. And the bit at the end of the video where they substitute the monitor feeds so that instead of Bruce Willis, Liv Tyler is caressing Steve Tyler's image is just weird.

Homeperm said...

although i fell asleep, i loved the countdown lastnight. lots of songs i hadn't heard in ages. sure, lots of repeats from previous weeks too. but the memories!!!!!! i wept through i will always love you. WEPT.