Sunday, October 22, 2006

Smashtastic

Listening to: 'Family Guy' in the hostel lobby

Smashtastic is my new word. It combines 'Smashing' and 'Fantastic' to create a new superlative that I am probably subconciously recycling from somewhere else.
The Airshow today was smashtastic. I'm going back for another helping tomorrow, which is only sensible given that it is the reason for my trip here. I shooot about four rolls of film today. I'll be a bit more judicious tomorrow, mostly picking up good shots that I missed today I hope.
By the law of previous experience, from the amount expended (96ish. Hmm. Lets say 100. This isn't high in the digital age. The guys using digitals near me shot 200+. Film limits you in this regard.) exposures I should get a dozen rubbish shots, 80 okay, with 5-8 great shots. I should take out the shots of planes on the ground, since they are easy to frame when they are not twisting and turning at 500-900 k's an hour. Leaving them in bumps up the OK's and Greats unfairly, and skewers the bell curve. I am optimistic about todays efforts, provided using a slower film speed to reduce graininess didn't completely screw me. I'll have to wait and see what develops.

Sydney has gone from being hot and damp to being cold and wet. Tomorrow should be better. I might even need my sunscreen.

I've been going to airshows for a long time, and I never fail to be amazed by what people think is appropriate dress for standing or sitting in a field or on a bit of tarmac with no shelter from wind, sun or rain. Today was cold and threatening rain. This was evident since dawn, yet still I saw people with no hats, coats, or even second layers. When it's overcast and your are standing in a southerly breeze for a few hours, T-shirt and shorts just doesn't cut it. It's makes you cold and grumpy, let alone your small children who are similarly dressed. Do people just assume it won't be windy or wet? Or do they not understand that an airshow is an outdoor activity? Still working this one out. I thought I was prepared, and still froze my butt off.
End rant.

By the way I wore the T-shirt not kate made me to the show. I have a photo to prove it.

4 comments:

Not Kate said...

Sweet! I heart plane!

No netball - so you needn't rush back.

Most likely pub quizzing with my flamates on Thursday, so any of your posse welcome (I think Fish choirs on that night though).

Hope you're enjoying your solo adventure.

Off-Black said...

I am. Haven't had a decent conversation since friday though.
I didn't anticipate there would be no netball in July when I booked my passage

Anonymous said...

What's the weather like now? Is it decently warm as opposed to yet another southerly storm? (Going to Australia and wanting to know what to pack)

Off-Black said...

Sorry Janet missed your comment until now. I found the weather quite changeable.
Friday: Hot, muggy, damp
Saturday: Cool, dark, becoming wet.
Sunday: Warm, dry
Monday: Fine and clear for the few hours I saw of it before coming home to the southerly yesterday.