Sunday, October 08, 2006

not after all, as it happens

Listening to: The Uchoose 80's anthems. Much "I remember this" between Fi and I.
Even for the 80's the video for Blondie's "The tide is high" is terrible. And whatever happened to the wierd breakdancing guy, and the tough haka kid from the "Poi E" video? And someone really needs to explain to me how 'Imagine' by John Lennon, which was released in 1971, qualifies as an 80's anthem.

Not going to court tomorrow as there was an adjournment.

Not playing Superleague this season either, due to not enough numbers being around to fill three mixed teams. As Fi and me fell into the third team, we don't make the cut.
I have mixed feelings about it. Happy to not be spending the time or money, both of which are considerable. Disappointed at not being able to make a team that will actually get to play. I wasn't really up to speed skill wise at trials, so I am not surprised or feeling wronged, but a little disappointment is inevitable.

So I need some other summer sport. Anyone know of any Touch rugby teams or the like that need personnel?

In other news, with birthday gift vouchers I bought the new Killers album (I'm so cool, the Killers named an album after me), and an A-ha singles collection.

Does anyone get the "Move to Dunedin" ads? Seriously. Anyone?

6 comments:

Homeperm said...

that mean haka kid makes me so excited. i want kids like that. and chances are i will have them.

i don't get the dunedin ads.

and apart from the pink floyd number i though the countdown was paedestrian. i was hoping for blue monday to make number one. i wasn't too hopeful however. i also wanted to see genesis. and the jam. and more romeo and juliet from dire straits. and less money for nothing.

that said, i would be lost on a sunday night without the countdown.

2treesandahorse said...

those count down are all the same. its the same songs week in, week out. why do i watch. why? explain this to me.

the ads are all about the fact that.... no i dont get them at all.

Andrew said...

Apparently 'Imagine' went to no.1 on the UK singles charts on January 4, 1981. Obviously a death cash-in. And 'Woman' went to no.1 on February 1. My memory is that at least in NZ it was only 'Woman' that got thrashed in tribute.

Off-Black said...

I remember hearing 'woman' a lot at about that time, to the point that it reminds me very strongly of the 1980-82 period whenever I hear it these days.

Not Kate said...

Yeah, John Lennon death thing woulda pushed them. But still.... seems like a push to include it.

How about playing ULTIMATE, Sammy? Probably too late to enter a team.... but that woulda been fun! You'd like it. I think it clashes with my basketball night these days anyhow.....

MadMacca said...

Hey,

I'm here via Andrew/JAFW

If you're in Wellington, or have the means to get here easily, I would definitely recommend ultimate. The team that I and Morgue and play on is still looking for a few extras.

Contact me at robroynz@NOSPAM.gmail.com if you're interested and I will put you in touch with our Captain.