Saturday, September 01, 2007

Wobbly eclipse and shooting stars

Listening to: Boys for Pele-Tori Amos

Its amazing the results you can get when you try to take a picture of a Lunar Eclipse with a long lens, a long exposure, and no tripod. Still the colour shows up nicely.
I did take more with a tripod, but I haven't developed them yet. Hopefully they will be better; it would be hard for them to be worse....

I have been messing around with taking photos of the stars (with a tripod). These pictures should be clicked on to biggify, it will make the details easier to see.

Southern Cross
The pointers, Alpha and Beta Centauri are the two bright stars near the centre of the picture, showing the way to Crux (the Southern Cross) in the lower centre. The orangish thing on the left is a tree, while the blurry thing at the bottom is cloud. The other white dots are stars.


Scorpius
The big bright thing is the Moon. Left of the Moon and curling down to the bottom of the picture is the constellation of Scorpius. The planet Jupiter is shining brightly just to the right of the constellation two thirds of the way to the bottom of the photo from the Moon. Scorpius' tail is up by the Moon, its head the three stars at the bottom.

With a nearly full moon in the sky, the stars get washed out a bit. I intend to try these photos again when there is no moon and the stars are brighter.

Ephemera

Raukawa Falls (on the Whanganui River between Wanganui and Ohakune) at near dusk. The sun had already set when I took this and darkness was imminent. This meant a longish exposure (making the water look like hair rather than liquid, emphasising the flow) which made for a classic waterfall shot which I quite like

Cabbage trees outside my house illuminated by streetlights and mist. I really really need to take these sort of pictures with a tripod.
Kereru (Wood Pigeon) in our backyard the other day. I like these birds, they have a lot of character. They are the only birds I can hear flying past my house. When I am inside it (woomp woomp wooomp).

1 comment:

Andrew said...

The misty-cabbage-tree one works anyway, tripod or not... hell, there are photographers who'd smear vaseline on their lens to get an effect like that :)