Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Friday the 13th

Black
I sense I missed an opportunity by not posting on Friday. Having Friday the 13th as a post date would have been cool.

I'm not a big believer in 13 as an unlucky number. When I was in form one I wore the number 13 soccer jersey in my team, since then I have always sought it where possible for team apparel.

Sniff
I have a head cold, which I don't like very much. My sore throat is affecting my speech, by way of being really painfully aggravated my normal volume speaking, so at the moment I am talking like this. Working in a noisy environment means this is somewhat difficult. I also have a trainee shadowing me, which makes it even worse, as I have to speak to explain things. My eustachian tubes are also blocked, which makes driving up and down our hill interesting.

Gripe
I really shouldn't play netball when I am already in a bad mood. Sometimes it cures it, but mostly it seems to aggravate it, and I play dumb and get all mood swingy and aggressive. Although I stand by my comment that our third quarter last night really was a "Fu**ing shambles", largely due my crap two point shooting (0/5) upon which my offensive plan for the quarter hinged.

Ponder
I am considering some of Notkates post ideas. Lines are still open on this one.

Easter weekend
As related here, we shot over to Blenheim on Easter Saturday for an airshow.

Our flight to Picton in this was brief but highly entertaining. Any day I get to fly is a good day.


Meet the Fokkers. 7 Fokker triplanes in the same bit of sky. Cool.




Unforunately, I had a slightly too slow shutter speed selected for a good portion of the afternoon, as this picture of the Corsair shows. Still, the propeller is nice and blurry though. With propellored aircraft shutter speed is a very fine balance. Too slow and you get blur, too fast and the propellor 'stops' and appears motionless, making the plane look as though it is about to crash, and really screwing up the dynamic of the photo.



The Huey display was nice and dynamic as well. Not bad for a 40+ year old airframe.

Not as dangerous as it looks. But it looks cool.


The Air Force Cat Tree Climbing team also put in an appearance, courtesy of Sporran.

Dinner

The food at Matterhorn was nice, but I consider $6.50 for a bottle of Mac's Gold pointlessly expensive. I have been to Mighty Mighty a couple of times now and it is starting to grow on me. I like how it seems to encourage eccentricity.

Pan's Labyrinth

Seen tonight. I liked it, although the mix of trailers beforehand was a little wierd. "Terrabithia", followed by "Shooter". What audience are they expecting? Are movies like "Terrabithia" the price we pay for the "Lord of the Rings" success?

I expect Pan's would be a lot more meaningful and resonant if I were Spanish and more aware of the period in which it is set in a being 'part of my countrys recent history' context. It was nice to see a subtitled film attract such a big audience. I can remember a time not so long ago when subtitles were box-office death. I saw a lot of subtitled movies in near empty houses in the 90's.

No comments: