Monday, July 24, 2006

Ramble on

Listening to: 'August and everything after'-Counting Crows.

I'll be thirty in about a month. I need help deciding on how I am going to mark the occasion.
Options include:
Renting out a Lighthouse cinema and screening a movie of my choice. Maybe 'Airplane'.
Coercing D3vo into letting me borrow his house and his mind (for ideas) for some kind of themed party.
Function room somewhere.
Restaurant somewhere.
Barbecue somewhere.Or you can all come over to my place and get drunk Hutt styles. It's only the Hutt. There's no need to be afraid....

I'll have to decide soon. Help me decide. Give me suggestions loyal readers.

Speaking of loyal readers, several nice people have said nice things about my missives, and even linked to them, which gives me validation and warm fuzzies. Heart to the nice peeps.

I found something I like about Winter (re the 'winter' post). You can sit out in the sun at lunchtime and not worry about getting sunburned. That and frosts. I deliberately walk across the grass on frosty days, so I can feel the ice crunch beneath my feet, and see the trail of my footfalls in the white.

I tried to think of ten dorky things, but really they were only 8 dorky things with repetitions.


On the way home from netball tonight we came across a recently deaded cat in the middle of Woburn road. I picked it up and placed it on the footpath, so that whoever is looking for it will find an intact dead pet, rather than a mashed dead pet. Seemed like the right thing to do.

At some point I will post about my sporting history, a la not-kate and morgue. It feels like the thing to do, as there are stories to tell. My story is not as illustrious as theirs however.

5 things that are frustrating me at the moment:

-Israels behaviour in the Lebanon. To a lesser extent, Hezbollah and Hamas' behaviour as well.
-The seemingly endless amount of largely meaningless paperwork I have to contend with at work.
-My continuing lack of self confidence, and associated badness of handling criticism.
-Winston Peters.
-The murders we seem to be capable of. Who beats to death a 66 year old woman? Who? Who kills a pair of three month olds? Who does these things? What sort of person does this?

Now listening to: 'Finn'-Neil and Tim Finn

I got about 250+ of my photos put on to CD last week, something I've been trying to get done since February, so I have a nice feeling of accomplishment. They are almost all of Skyhawks, in response to requests from the aviation forum I inhabit. One or two might even end up being published in a book. Which would be kinda cool.

I got selected for Jury Duty, but had to turn it down due to work needing me more. Which is a pity, as I enjoyed it last time I had to do it. I found it interesting.

Film festival is on again. Sigh. I got addicted to it when I was a student, but had to go cold turkey when I got a job in Upper Hutt, amongst other things. I make my fantasy picks from the programme, but seldom get to see much.

Shout out to Richie, who is currently journeying through Russia of all places, last heard from in St Petersburg. I travel vicariously through him. Still, he is single, and less spendy than I so finds travel somewhat easier to arrange than I do.
Currently putting together a trip to Sydney for Labour weekend with my Dad. Some fathers and sons bond through sport, or fishing, or careers. We go to airshows together. There's one happening near Sydney over that weekend which looks promising, and given that it costs about the same to go there as it does to go to the Wanaka show, we may as well.

I cunningly diverted the money that was until recently paying off my car into a new savings account, optimistically named 'House'. It's easy once you learn to live without it. It's not much but it is a start.

4 comments:

Not Kate said...

I like lots of things you say there. I like your use of 'footfalls'. I like that you fellows stopped to move the dead cat.

I'm not sure what will work best for your birthday. I'll go, whichever one it is. I think theme parties are always fun - and you guys have a knack of coming up with fun ones.

Whatever you do, it's the people who are present that make it fun. And you have impeccible taste in people :) Many is the time I've met someone and though, 'Well, Sam likes them - they must be a good sort'.

YOU ARE VERY OLD. I keep accidentally thinking I'm only 27 - I am delusional. It is a small disappointment every time I realise I'm wrong.

2treesandahorse said...

dude. me thinks the peeps and the other tribemembers need to go to the lighthouse for Airplane. the greatest comedy(about planes) of all time. when is the date so I can brng my squab if she is here. Its her fav. Afters we could all haul our lard asses to yours for some hutt (give me big hutts) style party action.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know that you could book out the Lighthouse for a party. Airplane is a cool movie though.

Parties never go out of fashion.

And what is it with houses at the moment? Everyone seems to be saving to buy a house/bought a house at the moment. It must be one of those things about (gasp) turning 30 :-)

Anonymous said...

You know I spent my birthday last summer…in Sydney! My friends presented me a ticket and I had to fly there… I had no idea what to do there but they met me in airport and took to Avillion Hotel where we had a wonderful party!