Wednesday, July 12, 2006

DreamTime

Listening to: 'Diesel and Dust'-Midnight Oil
Note: If you haven't seen Richard Linklaters philosophical meditation on dreaming 'Waking life', this post won't make much sense.
So after rewatching 'Waking Life' last week, I tried to give this Lucid Dreaming thing a try. One of the fundamental ideas propounded was that in dreams, light levels are non-adjustable, and this can be a clue that you are dreaming if you are experiencing a particularly realistic dream (another being unable to tell the time).
So anyway, I was dreaming the other night, and being aware that I was dreaming, decided to try a little experiment (I know this was a dream, I was riding a pushbike to work in my underwear, and the building next to me was on fire).
On the wall there was a light switch. I turned it off.........













And the lights went out. So light levels in dreams are adjustable (at least in that particular reality). Thrilled with my new found powers of dream manipulation, my next experiment was to see if I could influence all the women inhabiting my dream to take off their clothes. While this had promising beginnings, unfortunately the alarm clock intervened before this experiment could run its full course. The next step was to see if I could fly.

So. Was the light/dream theory incorrect? Or was I just able to manipulate my surroundings due to being aware I may not be able to? Was my test self defeating/self proving?

Who knows. I generally enjoy my dreams, and look forward to them. I seldom have bad dreams, and even less true nightmares. I have had one or two recurring dreams since childhood. I usually remember my dreams for a day or two. I love that we dream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucid dreaming is odd. Although somehow less interesting than it seems like it should be. I generally prefer the randomness of dream.

Not Kate said...

Lucid is a cool word.

I've had a couple of dreams where I was aware I was dreaming.... can't remember why. Makes you feel pretty clever though.