Wednesday, August 10, 2011

London Calling

I was wondering how some of the people I know in London were getting on. Thanks to TVNZ I now know how at least one of them has fared:

Kiwis in London Lie Low (video link)

Danielle and I used to hang out in the same group of friends in the 90's. This being New Zealand, I used to work with the sister-in-law of the reporter as well.

Still haven't seen or heard from the other people I know in the areas affected, including a friend in Croydon. I still don't really know what to make of the riots in general. They have happened before, and that they happen at all is indicative of serious things that are awry. So much though of what is being seen and told now is removed from protest, and looks like simple opportunistic criminality. Crime is crime. I get that people are hopeless, disenfranchised, angry. What I don't get is how destroying homes, property, locally owned businesses and employers in your own community is supposed to make things better.

No comments: