Thursday, August 25, 2011

35 today

As of this afternoon I'm 35 years old.

I'm reminded of the lyric at 3:41:


(with apologies to The Boss) "I'm 35, we got a boy two girls of our own now".

It is one of those lyrics that Springsteen has a habit of penning that in context just nails a theme dead on. I was about 8 the first time I heard this song, and at 35, can identify with it's protagonist more than ever, not in terms of the economic disarray the song relates (thankfully), but in the introspective looking back sense, seeing what is new and what has changed, and sometimes wondering just where the time has gone, which in turn reminds me of this:


35 feels like a milestone year. Halfway between 20 and 50, and halfway to seventy (crikey!). I have seen a few constants, but a lot of change, and try not to take things for granted. My favourite era of music and movies that I most identify with happened half my lifetime ago. I firmly believe in the cliche that one is only as old as one feels, but somedays I feel younger than others :).

I have a few grey hairs now, but also have an amazing wife, two beautiful and equally amazing daughters, and family and friends I am privileged and grateful to have in my life. They have provided me memories and experiences to treasure (and on the odd occasion a few to forget to be fair :) ), and hopefully will provide many more. So unlike Bruce's everyman above, at 35 I can look around and say, you know what things are pretty good right now. Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: