Sunday, March 16, 2008

Going public

I've been keeping this under my hat for a while, mainly for the reason that self promotion is not something I am given to, and I wanted to surprise certain people personally.

In previous posts here and here I made oblique references to a modelling project/opportunity that randomly presented itself.

Story is thus:
Being a plastic modeller, I often peruse various magazines that cater to the hobby. With a few exceptions, they are generally published in the UK, and as such their subjects generally cater for that audience.

Anyhoop, several months ago, one of them published an article on a New Zealand subject, so naturally I was interested. Unfortunately, the model in question suffered from poor references, and was fairly inaccurate (accuracy is quite important to modellers), not at all due to the skills of the builder who did his best with what he had.

Having done the same subject myself, and done it better, I wrote a letter to the editor pointing out in the politest and nicest possible way that the article published was flawed, and included a picture of my own work for the hell of it.

The editor thanked me, published the letter and asked me if I had written any articles. As a matter of fact I had done an article for a website here, so forwarded the link.

Shortly thereafter the editor asked if he could have the article for the magazine, about 48 hours after I emailed the initial letter....

After revision and addition, and reshooting the photos, here we are.

The March 2008 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly (linky), volume 7 issue 3, contains an article and photographs by moi, to be distributed by the thousands worldwide (click on the magazine cover, then on the 'Kiwi Scooter' part). Should be in the shops here by May or so.

Scary, but kinda cool at the same time. I am now a contributor.

See where letter writing can get you?

2 comments:

kiwilauren said...

Very cool Sam! Well done!

d3vo said...

Congrats on the publishing, good stuff!