Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Never Wave

Listening to: The Lost Boys soundtrack. Yeeeahh that's right. Go the 80's.

Sorry for the lack of action in the past few days, been busy and all that. Fear not my loyal army of readers (you are numbering at least in double figures by now I hope), I haven't abandoned you.

So this is post 250. Quarter of a millennium not out. Seems like an opportune time to note that note only did I not post on Friday the 13th last year, I also did not post on the 29th of February. I should have put something up, if only to have those dates enshrined on the post title.

I was going to mention something else at this point, but I have forgotten what it is.

Anyway, the Never Wave.

I've been having some interesting and vivid dreams lately (not that sort of vivid you weirdos).

So last night I was somehow involved in some ghostbusting in a hostel complex. As you do.
A haunted pack of cards (or a notebook possibly, it was that size object, and although I can picture it in my mind, I cannot identify it at all) was causing a poltergeist to manifest in its presence and do all sorts of weird and freaky things (this dream actually was scary in places. I woke up at one point with a yelp. Then resumed the dream).
An ex girlfriend of mine was staying in the hostel (probably why I was involved come to think of it) and together we organised to set things straight and banish the phenomenon from whence it came, or something to that effect.

Now for some reason initially the manifestation only occurred when the cards/notebook thing was inside the hostel. However, having successfully cleansed the place, I discovered its ability was evolving to include al fresco manifestation in the cafes and bars outside.

Fortunately I had a trump card. I knew, without any doubt, that it could not induce poltergeist activity underwater. Since the hostel was located on a waterfront, this proved kind of handy. Thrown into the briny deep, its power was apparently nullified.

Unfortunately though, like all good haunted/possessed objects it had a habit of reappearing on dry land, thus requiring further removal. The waterfront area was adjacent to a low cliff face with rocks at the base, presumably placed there for waves to dramatically splash on. Since the waterfront's erm, water, was fairly shallow, I reasoned that offing the thing into the deep water at the base of the cliff would do the trick and end the offending haunting.

The swell was big and looking dangerous, so being careful of the edge, I hurled the notorious notebook to the depths. I was catching some spray at this point, so I hurriedly turned to leave (I had a pressing engagement at the aforementioned nearby waterfront bar).

As I turned I saw it, and I was stilled, unable to move. It was a wave, an enormous, no, gigantic wave (if you have seen the wave at the end of The Abyss it looked like that). This was no mere tsunami, this was a hundred metre high wall of water. I knew in that instant I was doomed. I'm not sure if this was related to the haunting. I think it was just spectacular (in every sense) bad luck

And I thought "Oh no, its a Never Wave", implying that something like this is the stuff of legend, that you'll never see it in real life. And then presumably it broke and squashed me or something, because the dream ended at that point.

I swear I'm not making this up.

My subconscious does that for me.

2 comments:

BarWench said...

Well that bit of light entertainment definately improved my day.... :) Muchly appreciated!

kiwilauren said...

I agree with barwench. "Oh no, it's a NEVER WAVE!" Haha. But I can bet that it was pretty frightening at the time. I usually laugh at the things that I found scary in my dreams as soon as I wake up.