Thursday, February 01, 2007

Flying into the sunset

Listening to: Primal Scream-Screamedelica

Talking about the comet again......well it is my blog.
For those who thought that Comet Mcnaught on Saturday was a bit disappointing, here is what it looked like last Tuesday (23rd Jan) when it briefly appeared from behind the dominating clouds. I am quite surprised this came out given that it was about a four second exposure and the comet was barely visible through the lens, combined with a cheap tripod providing a less then steady platform.

It's fading now. I saw it again last night and it was only faintly discernable through all the light noise of Hutt Valley and Wellington. Still, glad that I saw it and will have a story to tell about the brightest comet for forty years. Definitely not an everyday occurence. In terms of spectacle it was way more bang for your buck than Halley's Comet twenty years ago. That was a not very bright smudge only about a quarter the apparent size. Still, glad I saw that too.

I think its way too easy these days to act too cool for school about these things. Sometimes you need to sit back and enjoy the scenery.

No comments: