Sunday, January 28, 2007

Hoose

Listening to: Tunnel of Love-Bruce Springsteen. Seem to be in a Boss phase at the moment. ToL is the underrated follow-up to Born in the USA. Always evokes memories of a road trip Fi and I made to the deep south in winter 2003.

Hoose

The hoosewarming was cool. In fact in view that it worked so well, and lots of excellent people couldn't make it, we might have a Mk2 version soon, in order that the aforementioned excellent people (who know who they are) can share the Kelson groove. Watch this space

The weather was warm and still, encouraging backyard action. The comet was visible for once and lots of oohs and aahs were heard.


Bubbles were blown, and pictures unstraightened
A good time was had by all.
And we wound up with a whole lot of leftover booze. Score. Admittedly most of it we bought ourselves to hand out to guests if refreshment bereft, but still leftovers is leftovers.


Thanks to all who brought gifts, many of which I missed noticing until today, so apologies if I didn't acknowledge at the time.

Maths at work

For those who remember our thursday night conversation, here is the fractal based camouflage I was talking about. Don't ask me where I find this stuff, I don't know, it kinda finds me. I think it was linked to on a forum somewhere.

"Maverick!!!"

I seem to have a penchant for spectacular low flying aircraft videos. This is one of the best/scary/craziest I've seen. Proving that Germans can be wild and wacky at times, this guy is either insane or about to retire (or be retired) or brilliant, or the plane is being retired. I'm not sure which. The guy in the back seat, who usually isn't a pilot and has no control over the flight from his position would have either loved or hated that ride.

Cool to see a Phantom being thrown around like that as well, as it is pretty much the aerial equivalent of a Holden Kingswood (i.e. an old dinosaur, big, heavy, not that agile compared to a modern aircraft. In its day though, the sixties and seventies, it was the benchmark that other fighters were compared to. Phantoms were what the air force really wanted when our Skyhawks were bought), which ties in with the music well.

Star Wars pondering

Jiving neatly with the alternative Star Wars readings posted here by the magnificent Svend, lately I have found myself reimagining Star Wars dialogue as if it had been written by Fred Dagg.

"Mate that's no moon, shes a space station. My mate Bruce had a run in with that last week. Took him ages to get his tractor back, and when he did the transmission was buggered". Etc.

I admit it isn't a very good evocation of Dagg dialogue but you get the idea. I am mildly disappointed that I am about ten years too young to have caught Dagg in his heyday.

Weather

It just just started hooning down with rain with no notice, prompting a mad scramble to get the washing in in the dark. Not really no notice to be fair. I looked at the sky about four hours ago, darkening to the northwest, and said to myself, "there'll be rain tonight". Still didn't get the washing in when I got home though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the comet? *pout* What a party to miss.

Sister's wedding was lovely, at least :-)

~`mrg