Tuesday, April 03, 2012

It Came From Outer Space!

So after tea last night, I wandered out the front of the house with Charlotte so she could get a better look at Jupiter and Venus hanging in the evening sky. Seeing what else might be visible, I casually glanced at the rest of the sky, and promptly ran back inside for the camera, the way you do when you see something you know instantly is unusual*:

So I missed the possible once in a lifetime spectacular meteor fireball (Dang!), but did see the vapour trail it left behind, and that's pretty cool. I've seen plenty of shooting stars and a few smoke trailing meteors in my time (I know they are all technically meteors, but the ones that are more than just brief streaks of light are way cooler), and some pretty good ones at that, but this one sounds like it was quite a show.

*I've seen pics of things like this before, and instantly figured it was something going to or coming from space. The time of night and illumination of the trail meant it was way too high to be an ordinary aircraft con-trail.

1 comment:

missrabbitty said...

was it at a deadly pace? (that one's for the judge).