Friday, October 07, 2011

Communistical sculpture

Listening to: the sound of my children sleeping. Or occasionally grizzling.

So a couple of months ago I blogged about the Wellington Odd Shaped Ball tournament commemorative statue, and how I thought it was a bit communist-y.

Turns out I'm not the only one who thought that as noted by The Wellingtonista here, and the style even has a name, although to be fair in a post eerily similar at times to mine, Wellingtonista's scribe did note a few things I didn't, most notably a certain feminine aspect to the piece. I won't be able to look at it the same way again, although the observation does remind me of this scene from The Big Lebowski, which works just as well in Italian as it did in English.

The hopes of one of the sculptors that people might climb on it being summarily vetoed by an anonymous council operative fits nicely with the totalitarian imagery too.

No comments: