Sunday, July 17, 2011

Neat

Listening to: The Enemy Within - Concord Dawn (2010).

Take a manually operable D-SLR camera, a remote release switch, a tripod, a compass, a dark space near the house, clear skies, some patience, and the marvel that is Heavens-Above and you get this:
The pale streak is the International Space Station and Space Shuttle Atlantis currently docked to it, passing over the Pacific ocean north-east of the North Island, but just visible from Wellington.

Not the greatest shot ever, but it is the first time I have ever tried photographing something in orbit, and the ISS/SS combo was so low on the horizon I was surprised I even saw it, flat 0 deg azimuth horizons being something of a novelty around here. In the event I was happy just to see it exactly as predicted (the horse in the paddock next to me wasn't quite so buzzed), knowing I was looking at two docked spacecraft in orbit, with people in them . Getting a pic was just a bonus. Weather permitting there might be a couple more chances to get better pics of them both over the next few days.

No comments: