Thursday, July 01, 2010

Snapshot

Picked up a few books at the ex-public library sale a couple of weeks ago. More than other sales the take from this one gives an interesting snapshot of some of the things I am into (not all of them; I'd need a heap more books to go one for one there). Also noted I had borrowed at least three of these when they were active library books...
So clockwise from top left:
The Art of Deception in Warfare - Basically a history of camouflage. I'm interested in perception and how it can be tricked. There is some very clever stuff in that; The Nuclear Age - The Cold War was a vivid part of my childhood, and I am still interested and intrigued by certain aspects of it; Wings of Fury - Completely naff title, but good insight into how dogfighting tactics developed after Vietnam; Encyclopedia of Volcanoes - because you never know when that might come in handy. I like volcanoes; Tyrannosaurus Sue - the saga of the most complete T.rex fossil ever found, and the legal debacles to figure out who owned it. Also some good insights into the history of fossil collecting and field paleontology; The Big Splat - About how we got our moon, and all the various theories for its origin, from ancient to now.

A steal at $2 each!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Excellent books! I'd probably be most interested in the front three, but I'm sure the war/airplane ones are cool too! Hope you enjoy them.