Listening to: A brand spanking new comp CD I just made. 13 made in the current series so far, which started with the 6 I made to soundtrack my 30th birthday party.
Problem: A recent southerly gale has resulted in a broken spreader on your favourite sun umbrella (which incidentally was a christmas present from your other half). Never mind what it was doing out and open during the gale, this state of affairs cannot be allowed to continue. There might be other sunny days that would require the services of a competent and functional umbrella. It must be fixed.
Solution: Shove as much PVA as you can in the break, then screw a length of treated/weatherproof pine across the weakened area. The new spar transfers the load around the break without losing rigidity. And lo the umbrella is returned to full functionality. Cost about $5 for the wood and screws, and about 10 minutes work.
It's not pretty, but it works.
Time will tell if it keeps working, but it works now. And the umbrella will be put away next time a storm looms.