Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wow that was fast

Yesterday I interviewed for a job I was interested in. The interview went well, and was not at all stressful or intimidating. I was told I would be notified by the end of the week if I was successful.

After freaking me out this afternoon by actually ringing the workmates I had nominated as referees, this evening I was offered the position.

I did not expect to be in this scenario so soon.

Pro's are better hours, less stress and less pressure, and more interest and more things to learn. The only con is somewhat less money.

If I don't take this opportunity, there may be some eternal 'what-if' style regret and or rueing the day.

Change feels good. Intimidating but good. Cool.

Also cool is this. Woo hoo!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Bet you're looking forward to normal hours..

kiwilauren said...

Yay! Congrats, Sam! :o)

Not Kate said...

Good for you, Sammy! It's so brave going for a new job when you don't 'have' to.

They'll be lucky to have you.

d3vo said...

You should do some negotiation. Tell them that you like the job but that you don't want to take a paycut.

Ask them if they are able to raise their offer.

Do this if possible WITHOUT telling them what you are currently earning.

The increase you mention will need to be bigger than the actual difference between their initial offer and your current figure.

This way you have some probably small chance of getting an actual pay increase.

If you ask they might say no, but if you don't ask you might be coughing up a few g's for no reason.

Given the speed of their offer they should expect that you might ask them to sharpen their pencil.

Fast offers == you are a hot candidate == they should want you for top dollar

D.

Off-Black said...

Thanks for the advice D, always appreciated.

While my new employers have shown their hand somewhat in offering so quickly, the offer made is actually pretty reasonable. It is mid-range in the figures I said I would be happy with (which in hindsight may have been a little low, but that is by the by), and is fairly commensurate to the role and my specific experience for it, which isn't great (my suitability on the other hand is fairly high).
So while I will see tomorrow if there is room for negotiation, I am not incentivised to push too hard.

2treesandahorse said...

someone once said to me

"don't let the money catch you"

So i didn't.

D I like you style (so wish i could do that). Play hard ball if it does not work? Do what ya need to do to supress that nagging feeling thats there is more to all this. Learn, experience and stretch yourself.

If you can find something you love that makes you money, great. if not, then keep trying.

Life is really to short. It like 25 years I have known ya and that seems not so long ago.