Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Happy Anniversary

It's a dark and stormy night at Castle Kelson.

Well it is. It's night, and therefore dark, and there is a fair old northwesterly gale blowing about. Still, being a northerly, it is a warm wind, so it is not as cold as it should be.

I have the feeling winter is going to break any day now however.

Today is 6th of June. It is the 63rd anniversary of "Debarkation Day", more commonly referred to as "D-Day", or in more specific circles, "Operation Overlord". The largest seaborne invasion in history commenced as the Allies landed on French beaches to begin the liberation of Occupied Europe from Nazi rule.

As significant an event as that is, personally it pales in importance next to something that happened on the same day 26 years later.

In a church in Wellington, a wedding occured. Today is my parents 37th wedding anniversary. Having only been married myself 2 and a half years, that figure is both inspirational and almost unfathomable.

I don't even know if they read this blog but I would like to use this opportunity to say:
Cheers Mum and Dad! On ya!

1 comment:

Not Kate said...

That's a bloody long time to be married! Good on them. I wonder if it will be nearly as common for people of OUR generation to last that long. Time will tell. My parents were married on December 13th. At the old Waterloo Hotel in Wellington (now a backpackers rather than a reasonably flash hotel). My dad wore a leather jacket. Mum had a brief period of trying to make him 'cool'. I think she gave up eventually.