Friday, August 13, 2010

One Black Friday

In honour of today being Friday the 13th, and since this being Off-Black and all it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to have that date on a post, here is one of the best pop songs ever produced in New Zealand.

From 1985, I bring you The Mockers, with One Black Friday:

The frontman incidentally was once refreshingly quoted as saying "I see myself as a victory for the mediocre singer". They were one of the more fun and memorable local bands of my childhood and I still listen to them fairly regularly.

According to the lore, the 'One Black Friday' in question and the lyrical content is a reference to a free concert the band performed at that turned into Auckland's 'Queen Street Riot' in December 1984 (more info and accounts here), an event I dimly remember (unlike my memories of the band).

2 comments:

missrabbitty said...

fantastic song...and he and karyn are great on radiolive of a weekday evening

Off-Black said...

Andrew is okay, but I don't have a lot of time for Karyn after she convinced certain people that Kiwi FM was a better idea than Channel Z...