Wednesday, July 02, 2008

What no pictures?

Listening to: Maroon five-Songs about Jane.......

Hah, you wish! actually listening to The Mockers-Woke up today, the definitive collection.

In a break from form, I am not posting any pictures tonight.

Although I am linking to something on youtube.

not much to say, just a random collection of things

-How come as soon as the door locks you out you know your keys are inside, and why doesn't this mechanism stop you from locking yourself out in the first place? Similarly, how come you remember you have left something important behind about 30 seconds after you have driven off?

-Back riding to work again, after pimping my ride with cool flashy flashy gizmos, and pimping me with some neoprene gloves. I have come up with a new term for the initial descent; 'Fierce Cold'. Giving yourself a 50 kph headwind a minute after walking out the door sure wakes you up in a hurry. Fastest recorded speed on the downhill so far is 64kph, at which point I start running out of straight. I've only done that once mind you, since a: it is technically speeding, and b: any off at that velocity would be spectacular and painful. Staying at 50 is enough, it means I can ride in the middle of the lane and not slow down the cars. I am trying to ride a minimum of three times a week, but post work activities often necessitate the powered transport.

Since the recent high profile cycling deaths in the valley I have redoubled my vigilance and defensiveness. On my route I am more at risk from path gazing pedestrians unfortunately. I am still waiting for my first accident since resuming the way of the cycle.......

-Been reading a potted history of the British SAS lately (because I am interested in that sort of thing), with particular interest in their activities during the quaintly named 'troubles' in Northern Ireland. The more I learn about that conflict, the less I understand it.

-The baby is kicking now, palpably and visibly. Cool. The small amount of paragraph space on this topic is not indicative of its relative importance.

-I start a new job in three weeks, in an area I tried to get into at my old old job. Someone else made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and my deadline of getting a new job was fulfilled quite nicely.
I have 7 working days left at the soon to be old job, and am looking forward to leaving. All the things I really don't like about it are prominent, although for my final days I seem to have been given a donkey-work task and put in the corner. Which I am fine with, although a bit more communication would have been nice. Its tedious sure, but at least I am being left alone to get on with it without supervisors second guessing every move I make, which is even more tedious.

-I'm not so bothered by the winter thing as others are, although I do resent the wierd ethic that saw fit to install an architectural culture of poorly insulated houses in this country. We may be in the south pacific, but we are in the temperate part, not the subtropical part, and nearly in the subantarctic part. I hate that our houses are cold. Its embarrassing when you are hosting guests from overseas for one.

-I will make it to Malty Media at least once.

-I am looking forwards to Rumpus

-and now the promised video link, or links

Link 1: In the early 1990's, legendary underground/alternative/post metal/whatever New Zealand band Headless Chickens were invited to contribute a track to an ABBA tribute album.

This is the result: Headless Chickens covering 'Super trouper'.

I have no idea why they filmed the video at Whenuapai, but it lends a certain odd aesthetic.

Link 2: Flying through a mountain. Because you can of course.

And Link 3: The sort of shock wave thing you often see in cartoons or movies. But much cooler because it is real.

No comments: