Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pictures of planes

Listening to: Pink Floyd-Wish you were here

Just to mess with your heads, instead of sharing the best photos from my recent airshow sojourn, I thought I'd post the worst. Weather on both days was completely rubbish for photography. 10/10ths overcast is the great killer of airshow photos. Contrast disappears, which messes up your exposure, and causes light coloured aircraft to merge with the background, or to be underexposed. Also the amount of available light is less, which adversely affects your images.
The difference in my photo quality when the sun made rare appearances is readily apparent. Also limiting me was some camera inflexibility in manual mode which meant I couldn't quite set things up the way I needed to.

9-10ths of an F-111. Great pity, crappy framing spoils an otherwise excellent shot. You can see the crew in the cockpit, and the movement of the control surfaces required to get the plane rolling as it is. Sigh.



















Again, same problem. Still I was head turning exorcist style when I took this one. I had to run out of flexibility at some point.









Slowing the shutter speed down just a little too much to make the propellors nice and blurry makes everything nice and blurry.















Appropriately for a 1950's aircraft, this shot looks like it was taken in the 1950's.



Overcast and general darkness resulting in under exposure. The landing lights sure are pretty to look at though.

If only I had a longer lens, this last one would be a freakin awesome shot. What this is a picture of will become clear once I post the good photos.

Clearly not a Jedi yet when it comes to photography....

2 comments:

2treesandahorse said...

It takes patience pad-one, one thing you have and i don't. Reallt like to see the good shots.

2treesandahorse said...

reallt - its a new word, a noun for lilting in a right hand sort of way.