Saturday, February 16, 2008

Spotted recently

Listening to: Shihad live at the Big Day Out 2000-The Channel Z tapes.

Kind of an official bootleg recording of several Shihad songs at various Big Day Out locations (Auckland and Australian) in 2000. It was released with a special edition of 'The General Electric' in mid 2000 or so. Now having bought the original General Electric when it was released, I thought this was a bit of a rip. Displaying an unsual amount of confidence, I said this to a CD store worker, and asked if there was any way I as a loyal fan, could get the bootleg without being stiffed for a CD I already had. The dude agreed that it was a rip, had a look around, and quietly told me to come back in half an hour when the boss was at lunch. This I did, whereupon I was slipped a small brown paper bag containing the CD, at no charge....way to win customers and influence people!
As live recordings go it isn't great. The sound is not so good, and peaks and troughs a little, but I was at one of the recorded gigs, which more than makes up for it.

Recent imagery

Ferries crossing in Wellington Harbour, at sunset on a very still, hot evening. Pencarrow Head in the distance, Somes/Matiu on the left.
Landing lights of a plane coming into the airport reflected on the water at dusk...


Someone in my neighbourhood flying a string of small kites from their deck on a hot summer evening.

Sunrise over Wellington harbour, from the waterfront.
For D3vo, an interesting letterbox in Moera
Also in Moera, possibly the coolest kindergarten playground accessory ever: a functional set of traffic lights
The Ava rail bridge over the Hutt River on a very still summers morning.
Houses on the hillside in Hataitai

Idle cranes over Aro Valley. Would be a much better picture if I could have got the power lines out of shot.
Cable car cables and wheels whirring furiously
Cool house above Scorching Bay. When I was little I loved the way houses like this looked. I thought they were the essence of modern and as far away from the classic state house mould as you could get. I still think they are great. My house is a little like this, which I love.
The finger of God over Eastbourne, from Scorching Bay at dawn.

1 comment:

2treesandahorse said...

yet again. awesome pics. yo should enter a comp.