Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lazy Sunday 2

Listening to: The deranged melange that is 'The Island' on TV in the lounge.

This post brought to you by sunny Lyall Bay.
And this Seagull.
Sensing Ben Harper
I have this thing I do periodically. For no particular reason, I will get a song in my head, then when I turn on the radio, that song is played almost straight away. I have been doing this since childhood. The most recent occurence was on Friday, when I thought 'gee I'd really like to hear the new Ben Harper single today', and lo it was the very next song to air. I'm not claiming to be psychic at all, but it is an interesting phenomenon that I don't at all understand the mechanism of.

Is post modernism dead?
So while attending Urinetown at Downstage on Friday night, a question occured to me. Urinetown is a satire, of several things but largely of the musical genre itself, and is loaded with self referential and knowing gags and humour. Which got me wondering. Is acknowledgement and mocking of cliche in danger of becoming a cliche itself? The show was quite good and never dull (and I am known for loathing musicals), although I thought some of its points about consumerism and environmental calamity and wannabe revolutionaries maybe went over the heads of some of the audience. And Rima Te Wiata is way taller than I thought.

Stink
Attending the musical meant I missed out on Not Kate's Birthday dinner, although this was partly offset by catching up with folk for drinks later. By all accounts it was a pretty good lash. I am rueing missing out. I hate missing out on things.

Drunk detection
I use the room is spinning sensation as a key indicator that I have had too much to drink and need to engage in hangover prevention techniques. This is tested by closing the eyes. If spinning is felt, nausea is usually imminent....which can be fraught if you happen to be really tired. Anyway, since childhood, I have exeperienced the same sensation periodically when very relaxed. And in that sober state, I really enjoy it. Quite why I find it so unpleasant after drinking I have yet to fathom.

Shouldn't be but is
Paul Henry on TVones weekday breakfast show appears to be developing a cult audience. I know I shouldn't, but I find him quite watchable, and so do other unlikely audience members I have asked about it. I suspect I would find the guy quite unpleasant in real life, but he his probably the most free speaking broadcaster on TVNZ at the moment, and handily offsets the seemingly endless parade of lookalike blonde dishes who occupy the right hand side of the screen.

I haven't seen any news of any kind since Wednesday. Anything happening I should know about?

That is all.

No comments: