Sunday, May 28, 2006

This sporting life

I played a lot of sport today.......
After spending the morning and early afternoon at work, I rushed to Petone for my first planned game of indoor netball at 3:00pm. My head was in the wrong place, I couldn't warm up, ran into one of my own players halfway through and had an unfortunate knee/gonad interface, which took the glow of my already mediocre game. My team was having an off day also and we lost a match best forgotten.
While I was sitting on the sideline watching my wife play, one of the centre management asked if
I'd like to fill in for a team that was short (we do this a lot and are known to the staff as happy ring-ins). Turned out the team was the one we had just played. Since they were a better team than mine, and I had no emotional investment, I was able to relax more and had a better game. I often look for a freebee game after a tough game, as it is the best way to unwind. We lost that one too as the team was still short even with me.
This left me with a little time to kill before my scheduled indoor soccer match at 5:15, so my wife and I went to the centre bar for a cold beer.
The soccer was good. I'm not very good at it. We lost, but it was a close clean game, so it was good.
As the soccer was drawing to a close, the management man appeared again, and invited me to another game. Having nothing better to do, I filed on for game number three. This was the best team of the day. Almost totally meshed with my personal playing style, I fit right in and had another good game. This one we won.
After that I fled before I was offered another fix.
I went home, had a shower and did the dishes. Oddly, while my knees are complaining a bit, the shin splints I have lately developed are silent. I am tired and sore but it is a happy tired and sore.

2 comments:

Not Kate said...

You are a netball slut. You never saw a game you didn't like.

I agree though. Playing a free game with random people is the ONLY way to get in a better mood after playing crap and losing. True that.

I was watching Dancing With the Stars last night. I love it. Though it is always jarring that Lorraine Downs looks all elegant but talks a little bit like someone from Upper Hutt at times.... she can't hide that accent forever...

Off-Black said...

I prefer the term 'junkie' to slut....